Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Heat Wave

It is hot where I am.  The whole middle of the country is hot.  In the high 90s during the day with a heat index (whatever that is) of 100°.  At night the low temperature gets down to 80°.  The weather forecasters say that it will stay that hot for two weeks.  I'm not sure I can handle it.

There are lots of creative ways to stay cool.  When I'm inside, I have a personal fan that moves with me wherever I sit.  Visiting air-conditioned buildings is another strategy.  The library, post office, grocery stores, all of these places are cool.

Water consumption is up and food consumption is down.  Certainly I don't want to apply heat to anything, so salads, cold soups, and fruit are on the upcoming menu.

Tonight for dinner though, my husband and I got lucky.  Our friends belong to a small local tennis club that has a pool as well.  We went and swam first to lower our body temps.  Then we ate some pre-made salads from the deli and bread and cold cuts.  After dinner we swam again.  Cooled us all off nicely.


I'm not sure exactly how I'll deal with the heat over the next two weeks, but I am thankful for cold showers, electricity for fans and window units, and friends with pool memberships.


No comments:

Post a Comment