Friday, August 8, 2014

Passion*

Swiss river gorge
Today's topic is the last of the three requested from my readers. And it has been one of the most difficult for me to write about.

Merriam-Webster's primary definition states that passion is "a strong feeling of enthusiasm or excitement for something or about doing something."

If you keep going down the list, though, you get to "a strong liking or desire for or devotion to some activity, object, or concept."


Then again, if you google images for passion quotes, you get lots of other ideas, i.e., energy, genius, oxygen, etc.

Why is passion so difficult to write about? Partly because I'm not sure exactly how I define it. And I've been thinking for a long time about what I am passionate about.

Surfers in the Pacific
As far as concepts go, family tops my list of passions. I am willing to do a lot for my family, sacrifice time, money and space to help and support them.

My friends come next, because they are the family I've chosen for myself, over and over.


The activities I feel enthusiasm for generally involve either water or words. From a passion for water comes my love for water polo, swimming, canoe camping, skinny dipping, streams, lakes, rivers and oceans.

My love for words shows up in my ability to read at length while ignoring all around me. It has surfaced in writing, this blog, my writer's notebook, my novels. And it is my enthusiasm for words that led me to teaching English to students whose first language is not English.

Family, friends, water, and words. Passions to be proud of.

* This topic brought to you by request of Alias.


No comments:

Post a Comment