Friday, June 6, 2014

European Ticks


There are ticks in Europe. I know because one attached itself to me at some point in my latest journey. I found it when we were in the lotion phase of our spa experience. I'm not sure where I got it from though.

I managed to stay calm throughout the rest of our time in the bad, but I resolved to take care of the tick as soon as possible. Luckily, since Baden-Baden is a spa town, it seemed that every second establishment was a pharmacy.

After we left the spa, we walked into the nearest apotheke, and started asking about ticks. Mostly I wanted to know if ticks carry Lyme disease in Europe. A garbled conversation in Germlish seemed to indicate that I should watch the site for that damned red bullseye. I think that babesiosis was also mentioned as a possibility.

The pharmacist sold me a tick remover, but better than that, she removed the tick from my leg herself. I couldn't have done it so neatly on my own.

No bullseye has appeared and I remain free of any other symptoms, so I'm hoping for the best. I hope it wasn't there for very long.

I do know that I will be more careful in the future when I'm out and about walking in any grasses.








No comments:

Post a Comment