Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Thoughts of Home

We are winging our way home today. In the morning, we started by Lac Neuchatel in our small boat, walked to the train station, and took a two-hour train to the Zurich airport. Then we flew to Amsterdam, and about the time this post arrived, we hopefully made our connection to America.

It's a curious phenomenon. When you first start a trip, you stop thinking of home fairly quickly. However, the closer you get to the end of your trip, the harder it is to stay in the moment.

We have been doing some lovely hiking and biking, plus the lake views are beautiful, but my mind is occupied with tasks I will need to complete once I return. Pick up the mail, write some bills, make sure not to forget a doctor's appointment . . .

Every time I felt my brain shift, I tried very hard to shift it back to whatever was happening: looking at a river flow down a gorge, dropping my potato in the fondue pot, drinking absinthe with friends, it's all been pretty amazing.

And I am very lucky to have experienced it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment