Friday, August 23, 2013

Paddleboarding

A young friend of mine recently requested a paddleboarding excursion for her birthday.
So we went to a local lake and rented some paddleboards.  It was a hot day, so we thought it was perfect for an adventure.  To make things complete, we even stopped on the way to the lake for some ice cream, so we would have fuel to make our paddleboards glide on top of the water.

What we didn't realize is that it was also a very windy day.  We started out fighting the wind, and then decided to let it blow us down the lake.  That was much more pleasant and way easier.  After 10 minutes, we were practically on the shore.  So we turned around and spent the next 50 minutes of our hour rental trying to get back to where we started.  Luckily we did make it there, but we were close to exhaustion and almost out of time.

Which made me notice a trend.  When I try new things, they don't necessarily go well on the first attempt.  (See zipline post.)  However, I always learn some new fact, like don't go paddleboarding when it's windy, that will help me if I try again.  

And I will try again.  Because I liked standing up on a paddleboard and being on a lake on a sunny day is a perfect way to spend some time.

Go out there and be bad at something new.  You might just like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment