Thursday, August 29, 2013

Strawberry Music Festival

I don't really believe in fate, but recently, it seems that the universe is forcing me to keep myself flexible.  Reminding me to embrace change, rather than to fight it.  Such it is with this fall's Strawberry Music Festival.

This amazing music extravanganza happens on the Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends every year.  Due to school schedules, we have only managed to attend when I am on leave.  So, it's been six years since we've seen great folk musicians perform in a beautiful forest setting.

Unfortunately, right now that stunning setting is almost completely surrounded by the California Rim Fire.  Camp Mather, where Strawberry takes place, is currently home to some of the many heroic firefighters battling this huge blaze.


These incredible men and women have so far managed to save most of Camp Mather's structures and many of the trees and meadows and continue to work to control this destructive fire.

I am disappointed that we won't be experiencing four calming days listening to music, swimming in the lake,  and meeting people demonstrating the elements of the Strawberry Way:  consideration, cooperation, kindness and generosity.  However, keeping the Strawberry Way in mind, I am focusing on hoping that everyone in the area of the Rim Fire stays safe and that the fire continues to become more and more contained.

It's possible that the festival could be rescheduled at a later date.  That could happen at another location or at Camp Mather.  (Although rumor has it that the fire crews will be at Camp Mather until the winter, as some people predict the fire won't be 100% contained until then.)  We can hope that we will be able to attend if it is held at another time.

So, I'm concentrating on keeping my mind limber and welcoming the uncontrollable.  It must be good for me, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment