Thursday, April 3, 2014

Snoozehour


I spend at least an hour a day listening to the sound of the PBS Newshour broadcasting in the next room. My honey doesn't miss a show if he can help it. Often I take that opportunity to work on writing this blog.

Last night I listened from the living room and wrote. It was one of the evenings when the show was being watched after the fact, when my honey speeds up the playback and everyone talks unnaturally fast.

Since I'm listening with half an ear, I can decide whether I'm interested in the stories they are airing or not.  Often I wander into the red room (where our big ass television resides) to watch author interviews or reports on education.

The biggest problem is that sometimes the show lives up to our nickname for it, and my honey falls asleep on the couch while the Snoozehour plays on. That means that I have to yell "You awake?" several times during the hour. If there's no answer, I have to try and convince my honey to get up and go sleep in bed.

Listening from a distance is the best of both worlds. I don't have to actually watch the news, but I can catch anything I'm remotely interested, and I stay minimally informed. Not a bad deal.



1 comment:

  1. Hmmm - should "big-ass television" be hyphenated? I believe so.

    ReplyDelete