Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Guitar Class — Take One

A couple of weeks ago I went to a local place that has music lessons for all kinds of instruments.  Although I would like to learn to play the piano, I don't have one.  So I decided to stick with guitar, because I have one of those.  In fact, I have a really nice one of those, given to me by my honey on a birthday many years ago.  Even the instructor said, "Nice guitar."


I've taken guitar lessons more than once in my life, but I haven't managed to keep it up.  I know some chords and taught myself to play London Bridges for my first graders a few years ago, but inevitably at some point, the guitar goes back in its case and doesn't come out again for a long time.

But not this year.  This is my chance.  Unfortunately, that first lesson didn't go that well.  The instructor was very nice, but we didn't really connect on a musical level.  He had never heard of most of the folkies I listen to, and although I recognized the rocker names he dropped, I didn't know any of their music.

He asked me my goals and at the time, I couldn't come up with anything except, "learn to play the guitar", which seemed less specific than he was looking for.  He taught me a little guitar theory, which I immediately forgot and he wrote a G Major Scale, Landslide (a Stevie Nicks? song I don't know) and and E Minor Blues progression on a music sheet for me.  Regrettably, I don't really remember how to play those anymore either.

I feel sad that the lesson didn't inspire me to play my guitar, but I am not giving up.  I did learn something from the half hour, which is that my goal is to learn to play a song.  Any song other than London Bridges, that is.




No comments:

Post a Comment