Saturday, November 9, 2013

Driving through Korea

For the last forty years, every time I find myself near the Santa Monica Mountains in Southern California, my brain subconsciously thinks, "Huh, those mountains remind me of Korea."


It takes between three and five seconds for me to realize the ridiculousness behind my thought.  Because I have absolutely no idea what the mountains in Korea look like.  Are there even mountains in Korea?  I don't know.

I do know, however, what the hills outside of the fictional M*A*S*H 4077th looked like.  And surprise, surprise, the exteriors for that television show supposedly taking place in Korea were filmed in these same Santa Monica Mountains.

Sometimes, when the sky is very blue and the clouds are puffy and just so, I start to hear the theme song for the Simpsons playing in my mind.

The repetition of images can have powerful effects on our minds.  But how absurd that when we see the real, we are reminded of the fake.

Nano Update, Day 8:
Plot?  Main character is hung over after night at the bar
Word Count? 14,369


No comments:

Post a Comment