Friday, November 1, 2013

Nanowrimo!

Warning:  I'm very excited, so this post is going to require many exclamation points!  It's the first day of November and that means the beginning of nanowrimo!  Today and every day for the month of November I will be trying to write at least 1667 words of my new novel.  Wow!

Although I started writing as an adult in 2003, it wasn't until 2007 that I participated in the craziness that is nanowrimo.  (That was my last year-long leave, for those of you keeping track.)  My novel that year wasn't that great, but the fact that I completed a 50,000 word novel made me feel like I really was a writer.


I have participated every year since 2007 and have only failed to finish once. (Mysteries are hard to write!)  The novel I am trying to revise for rejection is the novel I wrote in 2008 and the only attempt that I have let anyone read.

There is a large community out there for nanowrimo, creating a ton of support and encouragement for all us wannabe writers.  For me, it is wonderful!

However, in the spirit of being fair, there are those that are not fans.  In this post, the author feels that the world doesn't need any more bad novels. Apparently, editors and agents are already regretting the onslaught of bad writing they will have to wade through.  The author thinks that we should focus on reading rather than the selfish act of writing.  While I agree we should all read more, I must respectfully disagree with her idea that nanowrimo is not a good thing.

My novel this year is unique in that I don't really have a plot, but I do have a title!  I've never had a title before I even started writing!  And because I have the time this year, I am taking the opportunity to attend the Night of Writing Dangerously, a nano fundraising event in San Francisco.  

In order to attend the fundraising event, I had to set up a fundraising page.  I set it up like Kickstarter, so people can influence my 2013 novel depending on how much they donate.  I'll be sending out the link to my family and friends, but if you have any interest in seeing it, click here.

If you do go to the page, there may be a large box imploring me to upload videos or photos.  Please ignore it.  At the moment I'm not sure how to make the page look exactly like I want it to, but I'm working on it!  Of course, fixing the page will have to get in line behind the task of actually writing the novel.

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment