Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sitcom Room Roundup

I recently realized that I haven't yet written a review about my sitcom room experience.  So here it is:


Two weeks later and I'm still thinking:  What a blast!  I learned a lot about comedy, sitcoms, and what too many Red Vines feel like in your stomach. But what really made the whole weekend a superior adventure was the people.

Ken and Dan, who ran the sitcom workshop were really nice guys and they helped us get as close to a real sitcom writing experience without smuggling us into an actual writing room.  Bad Chinese food, a very late night, and plenty of laughs.

The actors managed to bring our words to life whether the jokes got laughs or bombed.  They got scripts with little lead time and were able to successfully portray four different scenes. The panelists told wonderful stories while answering our questions.

But the best element of the entire weekend was the other participants.  They were fantastic!  Honestly, I don't have enough superlatives to describe the people I met.  Smart, charming, flexible, funny, open, engaging.  I want to use up all the exclamation points I've been saving in a futile attempt to communicate their awesomeness.

They were from all over the country and the world, some professional writers and some not.  But we were all there because we were interested in writing, being funny, and learning how to work collectively to do both those things.

I can't wait to see what the amazing individuals in Sitcom Room #7 achieve in the creative world.  I am suddenly interested in German sitcoms, Norwegian soap operas, and a yet to be produced horror film.  And those are just the projects I've heard about.  I'm sure there are many more I don't know about yet.

I know that my writing will be funnier because I was there.

All in all, a great way to spend 48 hours.

Nano Update:
Plot?  Main character is at work contemplating what to do with his life
Word Count?  20,211



No comments:

Post a Comment