Saturday, May 24, 2014

Adventures with Language

Nobody dies, but sometimes you have to drink an extra soda . . .


. . . or at least that's what happened yesterday morning when I misunderstood the cafe owner. He told me the bottle was to takeaway and he would bring me a soda in a glass if I wanted. Since I wanted to take the bottle with me after our breakfast, I nodded and smiled. He brought me the soda, I drank it and then bought another.

And then there are the times your mouth works faster than your brain, like when I said please to a woman I bumped into instead of excuse me, because the first thing my mouth came up with was 's'il vous plait.'

But the best language so far was when I said I was pretty when I meant to say I was happy.  After thinking about it for a minute, I declared I was both pretty and happy! It got a laugh.

Mandatory photo of Notre Dame

1 comment: