Sunday, March 16, 2014

Discouraged . . .

. . . dispirited, dismayed, downbeat, downcast, downhearted, down in the mouth, crestfallen, in a blue funk . . . These are just some of the synonyms from thesaurus.com for discouraged.

It's not a state I am very familiar with. However, it is where I currently live when I think deeply about my writing. It's odd. There are two main reasons for my mood.

The first reason seems ironic when I think about it. In a recent post, I wrote about how much I have learned about myself and writing in this last year. Unfortunately, one of the things you sometimes learn is how far the distance remains to your destination. This animated quote from Ira Glass illuminates the problem.


Ira Glass on Storytelling from David Shiyang Liu on Vimeo.

Secondly, my time is dwindling. The number of weeks left up on that banner at the top of the blog is less than half of what it once was. Not very many days ago, I affirmed my intent to return to my full-time job in late August. And I truly fear that I may not have a manuscript ready to be sent out to be rejected before that last day.

But you know what? That's ok. This year has been great and will continue to be great. I specifically did not include the word depressed in my list of synonyms.  Because I'm not depressed.  I plan on taking Mr. Glass' advice and continuing to do the work, putting my butt in the chair, as many writers phrase it.  I will get as far to my goal as I possibly can in the time that is left.

Plus, besides the writing, I've got some trips planned, a house to unpack, lunches to eat with friends, books to read, and naps to be taken.  I just need to remember all that when I get . . . discouraged.



1 comment:

  1. In the words of your Mom -- Done is better than perfect.
    Or, as Jimmie says -- A ship captain never expects to reach a star but can be guided by it.

    ReplyDelete