Monday, March 3, 2014

Oscar Night

Last night was Oscar night and I watched the awards ceremony even though I haven't watched many of the movies.  I'm not sure I really need to watch any of the films, as I am not yet an Academy member with a vote.  Any of my opinions, likes or dislikes are irrelevant for this particular election.

I don't pay any attention to the dresses, the jewels, or the red carpet stuff, but I do enjoy a good acceptance speech.  The best include humility, humor and something (anything!) unexpected.

The director of the short animated film Mr. Hublot was especially touching. He was so nervous that he read his thanks from a paper, which usually means a robotic reading.  However, the hand holding the paper shook during his entire speech.  Proof if it was needed how moving the moment must be.

One of my favorite moments from last night included the introduction from the writing awards, spoken by Robert DeNiro (and written by ?).  For those of you who missed it, here's what he said:

"The mind of a writer can be a truly terrifying thing.  
Isolated, neurotic, caffeine-addled, crippled by procrastination, 
and consumed by feelings of panic, self-loathing,
and soul-crushing inadequacy.  


And that's on a good day!"

So true, so true.


No comments:

Post a Comment