Thursday, March 27, 2014

Flexibility

When you are a substitute teacher, days don't always turn out the way you think they will. Yesterday was one of those days. I got to the school early, and I spent the time looking over the plans the absent teacher had left. Turned out, I didn't really need to do that. All I really needed to do was to be flexible.



Because instead of replacing an ELL teacher supporting various grades, I soon replaced a kindergarten teacher whose substitute had cancelled at the last minute. In kindergarten for the entire day! Don't get me wrong, kindergartners are pretty cute, but they are high energy and require much care.

Kindergarten teachers are a rare breed. I bow down before them. They are amazing. I am not one of them.

We all survived the day though and I even managed to have a good time. Most of the kids were well-behaved, although there were a few kickers, a few cryers, and one kid who couldn't sit still for any length of time. They were a good bunch and I hope I succeeded in teaching them something.

Anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment