Monday, October 28, 2013

New friends

Meeting new people can be intimidating.  Meeting a large group of new people, some of whom you will have to be creative with in a small space for a prolonged period of time, can be downright daunting.  Your brain buzzes with questions:  Will I like them?  Am I dressed for the occasion?  Do my armpits stink?

This weekend I got lucky.  I got to know over twenty people I had never seen before, and they were all great!

About ten of us got together Friday night at the hotel's complementary happy hour.  The laughter flowed as freely as the alcohol, and we all shared small bits about our lives.  The next morning, the rest of the crew showed up and we all continued the meet and greet.

And you know what?  Over the course of the two days everyone was genuinely friendly, my outfits were fine, and even though my armpits did stink, no one mentioned it out loud.

Now that the weekend is over, I have nineteen new close buddies from all over the world.  I can't wait to go see them in Germany, Norway, and Ypsilanti, Michigan.




No comments:

Post a Comment