Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Online writing class


This online writing class is kicking my butt!

It's only the second week and I am a bit overwhelmed.  I had heard from a friend that online classes could be more work, because you can work at any time.  I guess that translates to you can work waaaay more than you had planned to work.

The first thing I need to do is to check last week's forums and see who said what about what other people said about someone's writing sample since I last looked.  That can take a while.

Next, I should look at all the week two assignments, which are:

Readings:
Message from the instructor
Week Two To Do List
Week Two Lesson
Interview with a writer
Suggested Reading (an entire book!)

Exercises/Writings:
Week Two writing exercise re:  your book
Freewriting prompt

Video:
A famous author talks about the writerly life

Forum postings:
Responses to week's readings and exercises
Sharing excerpts of your writing and commenting on others' excerpts
Your favorite books

The kicker is that although most of the assignments are finished once you do them, the forums are never finished!  You can always say more, think more, read more, comment one more time.  And, as the instructor said in her very first message, you get out of the class what you put into it.

I think that means I'm not going to get much out of it this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment