Sunday, October 13, 2013

Twin Cities Book Festival

Today was the Twin Cities Book Festival at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.  I was completely overwhelmed.

I mean, this is an event I want to be at someday, but I had no idea how to navigate it.  There were rows and rows of tables with publishers and individual authors and I walked up and down the rows and smiled at all the people, but I had no clue what to say to anyone.


The festival is put on by rain taxi, a quarterly review of books.  And they obviously know what they are doing.  It was a very vibrant scene, with people everywhere, talking to authors, about authors, about books of all kinds.  There were bookstores showcasing authors, three different stages for author talks, a children's pavilion, and even a used book store.

But all I could really do was smile and gape, and decide that next year, I will plan ahead.  I will look at the schedule ahead of time, and figure out which talks I would like to hear, which publishers I would like to talk to, which authors I want to meet.

Or maybe, I'll be at one of those tables, smiling at all the gaping people walking by.  Stranger things have happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment