Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A Substitute?


Yesterday I started the process of becoming a substitute teacher.

I know, I know, I'm supposed to be taking a break from the little kiddos. Believe me, I know.

But to tell the truth, I will end up missing them at some point.  And teaching is something I'm good at, a skill I know how to do very well.  I'm aware there will be days where I am going crazy trying to figure out how to write a chapter better, something I'm not sure I know how to do.  To counteract those insecure moments, it would be great to have some time in my life where I feel competent and knowledgeable.

In addition, most likely next year will see me returning to the teaching day job, unless my novel blows up into an incredible sensation.  (I'm not ruling it out, just not counting on it!)  So if I'm going to be teaching next year, being a substitute is a good way to get to know different schools, different principals, and the all-important deciding factor, teacher break rooms!

I imagine I will sub once or twice a week when I am in town, but even that small amount of time will keep my skills fresh and pay for the office where I write.

The steps that must be taken in order to be put on the list of substitures are mysterious.  In the past the registration has taken six to eight weeks to complete.  That means I've got some time to prepare to have a Calvin or two in a classroom for the day.

I look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment