Monday, September 2, 2013

Why I write

I came across a blog recently about why writers write.  Does anyone remember the Writer's Strike from 2007-2008?


It lasted 14 weeks and for most of us, its only cost was a shortening of the television season.  But for the writers involved it was a difficult time.

I don't exactly know the rules, but I think if you are a member of the Writer's Guild of America (WGA), you are not allowed to write anything for payment during a strike.  Maybe you're not even allowed to write anything that you would later get paid for, I'm not sure.

I just know that it would be challenging for me to not be allowed to write.  And so, a few writers started a blog, and invited WGA members to share why they write.  Many of them are funny, some are profound, and a few are really long.  But if you enjoy television and movies, you should be as familiar with the writer's names as you are with the stars who mouth their words.

And some of these writers have written for shows and movies you know:  The Big Bang Theory, Boston Legal, Buffy, Groundhog Day, Letters from Iwo Jima, Murphy Brown, Sex and the City, and many more.

So, if you wonder about why television and movie writers write, go here.  The blog has the most recent entries up first, so go back to the beginning if you want to read it in order.  And enjoy!

Why do I write?  Writing makes me happier than if I didn't write.




No comments:

Post a Comment